Precision Implantable Stent Coating Systems
Sono-Tek ultrasonic coating systems have been used to spray anti-restenosis polymers onto the surfaces of implantable stents for decades. We have expertise in spraying hundreds of different polymer chemistries. Ultrasonic spray nozzles are advantageous in penetrating complex stent geometries, ensuring full coverage of all strut surfaces without webbing. Pressure spray nozzles and air atomizers are not able to apply coatings as uniformly as Sono-Tek ultrasonic coating systems. Coatings applied using ultrasonics are much thinner than can be achieved with dip coating, saving spray material while avoiding webbing. Since ultrasonic nozzles are non-clogging devices, spray quality is not compromised over time due to gradual clogging as seen in pressure nozzle processes.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Spray for Stent Coatings:
- Highly controllable and repeatable spray
- Non-clogging ultrasonic technology
- Ability to spray at flow rates as low as 5 microliters per minute
- Droplet sizes as small as 13 microns (with water) with very tight drop distributions
- Low velocity spray adheres to stents without bounceback or overspray
- Proven process for coating implantable stents & other precision medical devices
- Highly durable coatings will not flake or peel
- Over a decade of experience coating with hundreds of systems in operation
Our stent coating systems are full coating solutions, with a sealed spray chamber design and automated PLC process control. For more information on our stent coating systems, go to our MediCoat DES1000, MediCoat II, or MediCoat PSI product pages.
Sono-Tek can provide validation criteria for stent coating processes using our MediCoat systems, including qualification documentation for installation, operation, performance and maintenance qualification of MediCoat ultrasonic coating systems.
In addition, our full in-house coating laboratory enables customers to simulate process testing using their stents to help improve and establish process criteria. Our laboratory technicians and engineers have extensive extensive experience coating different types of stents.
Types of Stents Coated Using Ultrasonic Spray (Metal or Bioabsorbable Materials):
- Bare Metal
- Stent Grafts