Drug Eluting Cardiac Stent Coating System
The next generation of Sono-Tek’s MediCoat™ stent coating system for coating arterial stents with polymers containing anti-restinosis drugs, the MediCoat™ II offers cutting-edge precision stent coating features that have made Sono-Tek the industry’s leader in producing high quality precision stent coatings. The MediCoat™ II is a fully automated coating machine capable of moderate volume production, accomodating up to 16 stents per cycle.
The MediCoat™ II offers the same cutting-edge precision stent coating features that have made Sono-Tek the industry’s leader in producing high quality stent coatings with expanded features and higher volume production capabilities.
MediCoat II System benefits:
- Small ultrasonically generated drops provide excellent penetration and inhibit webbing
- User-friendly stent loading cassette holds up to 8 stents, increasing production throughput and reducing operator intervention
- Attach stents using Sono-Tek’s exclusively designed mandrels or customer may use their own attachment method
- Integrated control of the nozzle, liquid delivery, and stent motion
- Easy load/unload chamber and sealed process chamber with access door
- Low velocity atomized spray with minimal overspray (minimal waste)
- Fully integrated continuous flow polymer delivery system provides the highest degree of accuracy
- Self-cleaning ultrasonic nozzle prevents clogging
- Capable of delivering multiple polymers (layering)
- All system components are compatible with the typical solvents and polymers used in stent coating
(For example: solvents THF, acetone, DMAC, toluene, chloroform;
polymers: urethanes, polycarbonates, silicones, styrenes)
The MediCoat™ II Benchtop Stent Coating system combines Sono-Tek’s unique microspray atomizing nozzle with lowpressure gas to produce a soft, highly focused beam of atomized spray drops. Compressed gas, typically at 1 psi, is introduced into the diffusion chamber of the air shroud, producing a uniformly distributed flow of air around the nozzle’s atomizing surface.
The ultrasonically produced spray created is immediately entrained in the air stream. An adjustable focusing mechanism on the air shroud allows complete control of the spray width.
The customer has the option of attaching a custom stent holding device onto the rotating mandrels. The stents are loaded onto the mandrels and the cassette is inserted into the load chamber. The extend/retract shaft picks up each stent from the cassette and delivers it to the process chamber for spraying. Stents are rotated at a fixed speed, controlled by the user. The stent moves horizontally side-to-side beneath the target area. The number of horizontal passes made are programmable.
A low-velocity exhaust maintains a negative air pressure to assure that any unwanted mist beyond the target area is removed.
The system’s unique design allows for safe and convenient access to the stent load and unload area. Large, unobstructed viewing windows and high-intensity internal LED lighting allow for easy observation.
With integrated controls for triggering the ultrasonic atomization, liquid delivery and stent movement, the MediCoat™ II Stent Coating System provides a complete solution for developing a stent coating process and moderate volume production.