The Sono-Tek laboratory, located at our corporate headquarters in Milton, NY*, USA, provides in-house laboratory testing for customers looking to test and/or prove concept of ultrasonic spray processes.
- Analysis of your application is available using
the skills of our technicians and engineering team
- Proof-of-concept research and development
- Reduce your time to market with our process expertise
- Basic atomization testing of spray chemistries
*In addition to our USA testing facility, satellite laboratories are available through our distribution network for companies located within the countries of Germany, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and China.
Our experience is your solution… We have over three decades of experience coating a wide range of substrates and testing spray-related processes for companies in several industries including medical devices, semiconductors, electronics, energy and textiles. The expertise of our laboratory staff has helped hundreds of customers develop processes utilizing our knowledge of how to optimize the performance of our ultrasonic spray systems.
Every customer’s needs are unique… Practical testing of theory using actual process parameters and precision tools, operated by our spray technology experts, produces optimum precision and efficiency and results in significant savings for our customers.
Examples of Spray Process Improvements
Some examples of process developments and improvements that have been achieved using ultrasonic spray technology and prototyping services offered by our Sono-Tek laboratory:
- Increased throughput and minimized excess misting while providing uniform coverage over a wide area in a float glass spray application resulting in a 75% reduction in material usage.
- Designed a nozzle to meet precise drop size requirements in spraying of microparticulates in medical applications, such as drug delivery.
- Developed a highly effective process for spraying of nanoparticle solutions with significantly less agglomeration than conventional methods.
- Developed a process for applying flame-retardant solutions to fabrics.
- Optimized thin film coatings from 5μ down to .1μ and increased uniformity from ±10% down to ±2%.
- Optimized coating morphologies from a grainy structure to continuous smooth films.
- Reduced consumption of expensive drug/polymer solution being sprayed by 80% – saving the customer $14,000 per month with a 2 month ROI.
Some of the projects that can be performed in our Sono-Tek laboratory include:
- Prototyping and customizing nozzles to specific applications
- Customizing frequency and drop size based on liquid vapor pressure and surface tension
- Spray characterization studies with different nozzles under different operating conditions
- Testing spray performance using actual parameters
- Adjusting spray parameters to increase efficiency and improve results
- Improving process and reducing reject rate
- Troubleshooting process problems resulting from unsatisfactory spray quality