Ultrasonic Spray Nozzles Proven for Graphene Nano-layer Thin Films
The inherent thinness and strength of graphene, combined with the ability to deposit thin nanolayers of material uniformly using ultrasonic spray, gives rise to enormous potential for graphene in thin film functional coatings for electronics, solar cells, and even protective layers using ultrasonic spray technology. The growing availability of graphite oxide enables research in many new technology areas.
Graphene is used in areas of research such as:
- Transistor fabrication for more efficient transistors than Si
- Flexible organic solar cell manufacturing
- Gas sensors with very high sensitivity
- Improving image characteristics in Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Protective inert coatings to prevent acid attack
- Providing a base layer for dopants to adhere to in silicon-based electronics
- Biomedical implant coatings
A few of the benefits of ultrasonic nozzles in graphene coating processes:
- Non-clogging atomized spray
- 95+% effective chemistry usage with very little overspray
- Ability to deposit thin nanolayers with high uniformity
- Repeatable proven spray process
- Capable of spraying very small sample sizes and very low flow rates
Sono-Tek ultrasonic nozzles operate by converting high frequency sound waves into mechanical vibrations, which atomize liquids into mathematically defined micron sized droplets. These droplets have a very tight drop distribution, and their size is dictated by the frequency at which the nozzle operates. Continuous vibrations of the nozzle disperse particles evenly in suspension during the coating process, creating homogeneous thin film layers of functional particles. For more information regarding the unique nature of ultrasonic spray and how ultrasonic nozzles work, visit http://www.sono-tek.com/how-ultrasonic-nozzles-work/.
120kHz and higher frequency nozzles have proven most successful. These higher frequency nozzles produce the smallest droplet sizes with effective deagglomeration of particles.
Sono-Tek’s ExactaCoat system is the perfect full coating solution for R&D graphene coating processes, and is available as a tabletop enclosure or a fully inert standalone system.
Our in-house laboratory facilities enable customers to prove atomization and explore process enhancement with the assistance of our ultrasonic coating experts.