WideTrack Dual Jet Coating System for Anti-Stain Coatings onto Float Glass
Sono-Tek WideTrack Dual Jet float glass coating systems apply uniform nanolayer anti-stain coatings such as water-soluble organic acid solutions (typically Malic, Maleic, Adipic acids) onto float glass in anti-stain coating processes to prevent Stage I and Stage II corrosion. Thin films coatings of acid in a polymer matrix are deposited onto glass to prevent the formation of stains during glass transportation and storage. Ultrasonic spray is an alternative to powder or pressure spray coating processes, offering significant advantages over other spray methods, most importantly no clogging and very little overspray of material. Very thin, uniform, durable layers are applied for excellent protection of glass with minimized exhaust and energy requirements during deposition, low drying times, and the coating is easily washed off.
WideTrack Dual Jet System Benefits:
- Inline protection of glass staining – important in high humidity environments
- No clogging>
- Excellent transfer efficiency
- Environmentally friendly system minimizes or eliminates ventilation/exhaust
- Proven reliability for 24/7 glass manufacturing
- Excellent turn down ratio, with on the fly control of deposition quantity, adjusting to ribbon speed changes
- Flexibility to spray different chemistries for varied coating visibility requirements – highly visible Adipic/Maleic/Malic acid mixture, slightly visible “Stain Retard 101” mixture, or barely visible “Irristop” mixture
Sono-Tek’s experience and understanding of the unique demands of continuous float glass production has contributed to making the WideTrack spray system superior for the needs of the industry. It’s proven reliability and low maintenance design make it excellent for 24/7 glass manufacturing processes.
Typical bridge systems contain 8 WideTrack Dual Jet ultrasonic nozzles (for 3-4 meter float glass lines). Encoder packages are available to:
- Automatically throttle system based on ribbon speed. Allows for constant monitoring of material put down.
- Adjust for varying ribbon width. Outer two heads turn off for thinner ribbon widths.
State of the art HMI controller features:
- Integrated air conditioning system keeps electronics cabinet cooled
- NEMA rated control tower with 19″ touch screen HMI and user-friendly Windows-based software
- Multi level security and extensive data logging and process monitoring
Robust pressurized header pump features:
- Very high precision and repeatability of <0.5% STDEV from nozzle to nozzle
- Wetted path pump solution is all plastic, impervious to acids
- 100 micron dual filter filtration system with “swap on the fly” capability
- Closed loop pressure control system with PID controller and efficient VFD pump driver
- Pump configuration packaged for easy setup and mobility of the unit
Operating Principle: WideTrack Dual Jet ultrasonic nozzles combine Sono-Tek’s unique ultrasonic atomizing nozzle with a pair of precisely timed jets of air which alternately pulse to drive the spray downward. The timing and force of the pulses produces a spray pattern that oscillates back and forth across the substrate. The soft nature of ultrasonic spray adheres readily to glass surfaces, resulting in very little overspray or bounceback. For more information about the unique nature of ultrasonic spray nozzles, go to http://www.sono-tek.com/how-ultrasonic-nozzles-work.