Uniform Carbon Catalyst Coatings
Fully enclosed XYZ tabletop ultrasonic fuel cell coating system designed for depositing catalyst coatings onto PEM fuel cells, GDLs, electrodes, various electrolyte membranes, and solid oxide fuel cells with suspensions containing carbon black inks, PTFE binder, ceramic slurries, platinum and other precious metals. Research has proven Platinum yield in membranes coated using ultrasonic spray are approximately 90%. For more information regarding research papers on this topic, go to http://www.sono-tek.com/application-specific-research-papers/.
Sono-Tek ultrasonic nozzles for fuel cell coating feature:
- Very high Platinum yields in R&D fuel cell coating in MEA fabrication, as high as 90%
- Reduced wasteful overspray and atmospheric contamination
- Non-clogging design results in minimal servicing and downtime
- Repeatable spray patterns that are easily shaped for precise coating applications
- Highly controllable spray produces reliable, consistent results with or without masking
- Corrosion-resistant titanium and stainless steel construction
- No moving parts to wear out
Uniform coatings of catalyst ink are deposited onto Nafion fuel cells without deformation of the membrane. The high degree of uniformity achieved with ultrasonic spray ensures the maximum surface area exposure of platinum in Hydrogen fuel cell construction.
The ExactaCoat FC for fuel cell coating features:
- Precise substrate uniformity with repeatability down to ±2%
- Compact benchtop design that favors portability
- 400 mm x 400 mm x 100 mm (15.75″ x 15.75″ x 3.94″) range of motion
- Windows®-based programming software with image import
- Remote trackball teach pendant
- Coordinated motion in all three axes simultaneously
Fuel cell liquid delivery options:
The SonicSyringe liquid delivery system is a proprietary, patented ultrasonic dispersion syringe pump designed for spraying solutions such as carbon black inks that tend to agglomerate easily. Continuous vibrations keep nanosuspensions mixed during the entire coating process, ensuring uniform dispersion of particles.
Sono-Tek also offers a Magnetic Stirring Syringe option for fuel cell systems.
Other optional equipment:
- Heat plate
- Vacuum plate
- Combined heat/vacuum plate
- Ultrasonic dispersion pump
- MicroFlow recirculation pump
- Camera (Passive Vision)
ExactaCoat FC is typically integrated with the following air shaping technologies: