Ultrasonic Nozzle Systems for Catheter Coating
Medical devices such as cardiac and urinary catheters carry risks of causing complications such as hospital-acquired infections, blood clots, inflammation and tissue trauma. Catheter coatings of lubricious, antimicrobial, hydrophilic, anti-thrombogenic or anti-encrustive solutions can alleviate these risks through the slow release of drugs or permanent ultra-thin film coatings. Catheter coating for reducing friction or altering surface morphology, or applying adhesive coatings can also be done with ultrasonic nozzle systems.
Catheters suited for ultrasonic coatings:
- Foley – surgical, intermittent & external
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Wound drains
- Angioplasty balloon catheter coatings
- Central venous lines
Sono-Tek’s ultrasonic coating systems are proven for successful coating of these devices with Silicone, Teflon, or other lubricious, antiseptic, hydrophilic, anti-thrombogenic or anti-encrustive coatings that can alleviate these risks through the slow release of drugs or permanent ultra-thin coatings. In addition, Sono-Tek’s precision spray nozzles are well suited to spraying angioplasty or other implantable balloon catheters with drug eluting polymers to combat restenosis.
The world’s leader in stent coating technology, Sono-Tek has over thirty years of technical expertise in ultrasonic spray technology and the most advanced precision medical device coating systems on the market for stents, guide wires, drug coated balloons, catheters and other implantable medical devices.
Sono-Tek ultrasonic nozzles feature:
- Small ultrasonically generated drops provide excellent uniformity
- Minimal overspray (minimal waste) with up to 80% reduction in material consumption
- Self-cleaning ultrasonic nozzle prevents clogging
- Capable of delivering multiple coatings (layering)
- Minimal servicing and downtime
- Spray patterns that are easily shaped for precise coating applications
- Highly controllable spray produces reliable, consistent results
- No moving parts to wear out
- Corrosion-resistant titanium and stainless steel construction
- Fully integrated continuous flow polymer delivery system provides the highest degree of accuracy
- Wide range of delivery rates from 1-100 ml/hour
- All system components are compatible with the typical solvents and polymers used in coating catheters
Nozzle systems for coating catheters commonly incorporate the following air shaping technologies: